The POD (Preventive Oral Device)
The POD® featuring Unilateral BiteBlock Technology®
The POD™ is a custom fit, laboratory fabricated intraoral splint designed to aid in treating bruxism and TMJ Dysfunction.
Worn during sleep, the device serves to protect the teeth and restorations from the destructive forces of clenching and grinding. It also helps to alleviate TMJ/TMD, headaches, and facial muscle pain.
The unique design provides more space for the tongue while limiting the amount of contact points.
Limiting contacts reduces muscular activity. Hence it reduces muscle tension and helps alleviate associated TMJ pain symptoms and headaches.
Routine Cleaning of Your POD® Is a Must!
While your appliance is in use it will buildup plaque and tartar, collecting bacteria.
The oral microbiome (bacteria and fungi)such as Streptococci, Actinomyces, FusobacteriumCryptococcus and Candida build-up can contribute to infections and health complications by compromising the immune system. It will also give an odd taste and pungent smell.
Taking good care of an appliance keeps your breath fresh and it will also contribute to good health. Most appliances may have following components:
- Wire (Surgical grade Stainless Steel)
- Polished Acrylic that is molded to fit your mouth
- Clear Plastic
How to Clean Your POD®
- Rinse thoroughly to remove all debris (plaque and food particles) before it dries and hardens into a very difficult to remove crust
- Use lukewarm water only
- Scrub gently in a circular motion
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush or denture brush
- Clean after every meal, morning and before bedtime
- Use a gentle cleanser, such as dish soap
- Use Cotton swabs (Q-tips), moistened with lukewarm soapy water to clean deep groves and ridges
- Soaking the appliance using denture cleanser tablets (polydent or others) is also effective to loosen up all debris
- To remove a sticky substance: After using a brush and soap, the sticky substance may be removed by placing the appliance in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. Once the sticky substance hardens, cleanse it with a brush and mild soap again
- To clean hard crust or hardened plaque from the appliance, soak it in equal amount of vinegar and lukewarm water for 15-20 minutes and scrub gently in a circular motion using gentle cleanser. If needed, repeat the soaking procedures a few times
How NOT to Clean Your POD®
- Do not use extreme hot or boiling water, heat will cause your appliance to warp
- Do not put your appliance through a hot sterilization process, it will deform and melt the plastic
- To avoid scratches, do not use an abrasive cleanser, soap or toothpaste
- Do not keep your appliance around your pets, dogs especially love to chew on your appliance
Book an Appointment
Monday – 6:30 am – 5:00 pm
Tuesday – 6:30 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday – 6:30 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday – 6:30 am – 5:00 pm
Friday – 6:30 am – 5:00 pm